Valley Southwoods Freshman High School issued the following announcement on Sept. 9
This Tuesday (Sep. 10) is an Encore Day. Please make sure you know which room you are going to (room number will be on your IC schedule) and make sure you bring needed materials, such as your Chromebook or a reading book.
Valley Girls’ Rugby Season is here! If you are interested in playing this fall, please join us after school for practice Monday-Thursday from 5:30-7:00 at the Indian Hills Junior High School fields.
· Valley Girls’ Rugby is open to students 9th-12th grade (please note this is a club sport).
· All skill levels are welcome.
· Questions? Feel free to contact Coach Ridgway (email click here).
Here are a few Silver cord Opportunities for you to consider:
· The Valley Debate Tournament (“Mid-America Cup,” Sep. 21 & 22) needs volunteers to do a variety of jobs (mainly concessions and clean up). We are expecting around 500 students, coaches and judges from all over the country at this year’s tournament. Shifts are located at Valley and Valley Southwoods. To volunteer use the sign-up link (click here).
· The annual Valley Girls & Boys Tom Karpan Cross Country meet will be held on Tuesday, September 17 at Valley Southwoods. With over 1,800 runners visiting from all over the metro, many volunteers are needed to help the event run smoothly. Duties include filling water cups, handing out post race drinks and snacks to runners. There is also a need for help cleaning up campsites and course tear down after the event is over. To volunteer use the SignUp link (click here). Students may sign up for one or two shifts. PLEASE, only sign up for the noted SILVERCORD spots. The other spots listed are for parents. Parking is difficult as the lot fills up fast. PLEASE, leave time to park and walk to the water station. If the parking lot is full, students may park at the Learning Resource Center/Library and walk up to the event, or find a spot on residential streets. Students should come to volunteer station first to sign in, then report to water station. They are both located near the finish line, by the VSW parking lot.
· WDM Library – Pre-renovation Book Sale – September 26-September 29. The library is looking to sell 10,000-15,000 books. This is an opportunity for students to assist in setting up the book sale; keeping the books organized and replenishing tables with more books during the sale; and assisting the assisting patrons in carrying their purchases back to their vehicles. For more information check out the Book Sale Flyer. To volunteer contact Katie Getting (email click here).
For all boys interested in playing basketball this winter, there will be a meeting in Mr. Bower’s room (260C) this Thursday beginning at 7:45 am.
Volleyball C Team can ride activity bus #70 tomorrow, Tuesday, 9-10 to Valley after school.
For the week’s complete schedule (click here).
TIGER quote of the day: “Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.” Integrity-Pass It On!
Notes to Parents & Guardians
Chromebook Web Filtering: The Chromebook is a learning tool both in the classroom and at home. The partnership between your child’s school and home extends beyond learning reading, writing, and arithmetic. Digital citizenship is an important part of today’s world, and helping your student become a positive role model in the digital world is an important part of the WDMCS Chromebook Program.
To that end, WDMCS has chosen a web filtering company, Securly, which allows parents to receive weekly emails that contain their child’s internet activity. Securlyhttps://www.securly.com/ also offers a feature that allows parents to choose to block more web content at home, such as social networking sites like Facebook. For more information (click here). If you are having any problems with your Securly service, contact them directly (email click here).
Original source can be found here.